History of Dapto Bowling Club
Like most clubs Dapto Bowling Club started from humble beginnings and has now been operating for over 50 years. With a hand full of local RSL Sub Branch members attending a meeting in 1947/48 at the A& H Hall at the Dapto Showground the idea was proposed to establish a Bowling Club in the local area.
From there land was purchased for approximately £80 and soon after the original clubhouse was erected ( affectionately known as the “ old tin shed” ) and from there various renovations over a number of years have taken place to bring us to the current premises that stands today.
The club formally established and trading the membership then went onto stamp their authority in the Illawarra as a force to be reckoned with on the bowling greens. A tradition that continues today in all grades and will no doubt continue into the future.
Bowls continues to be in a healthy condition at Dapto Bowling Club with 6 sides competing in the local pennant competitions and not to be forgotten our Ladies club has also been a force locally with their own history stretching back 50 years.
| || |
Weekly coaching sessions for new bowlers helps to improve knowledge and etiquette of the game thus ensuring new players are confident when they move into the competitive side of the game. Junior bowlers are a welcome addition to the club with many of them presently representing in district sides.
Dapto Bowling Club membership currently stands at 1100 members and will no doubt go beyond this figure with the continuing expansion of the Dapto area.
Facilities have also gained much improvement over the period of time including 3 Greens, 100 seat dining area in the Huntley Bistro, Full TAB and Keno facilities, Outdoor Smoking area, weekly entertainment and promotions, Courtesy bus and much more.
Whether you’re a visitor to the area or a local seeking new surrounds drop in have a drink and say hello to the regulars . Because we are certain you,ll become a regular too.